- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Getting to Santa Cruz is easiest by car; just hop back on the Pan-American Highway (Route 5) and head south 55 km (34 mi) to San Fernando. Pass the first exit north of the city and continue another 2 km (1 mi) to the next exit marked "Santa Cruz, Carretera del Vino, Pichilemu." This is I-50, the "Wine Highway," which takes you west through wine country and on to the coast to Pichilemu, surf capital of Chile. It is very easy to visit most of the valley's wineries by car; in fact, you will see a number of them along the way on this aptly named route.
If using public transportation, take a bus or train to San Fernando and then take the local bus or colectivo (a shared taxi with a fixed route) to Santa Cruz. On most Saturdays you can also take the Wine Train from San Fernando to the Santa Cruz station.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe