- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
In a letter dated October 8, 1545, Spanish conquistador Pedro Valdivia wrote: "Of all the lands of the New World, the port of Papudo has a goodness above any other land. It's like God's Paradise: it has a gentle temperate climate; large, resounding mountains; and fertile lands."
Today a jumble of apartment buildings and vacation homes detracts from the view Valdivia once admired, but the beaches and coast north of town remain quite pleasant. For years Papudo was connected to Santiago by a train that no longer runs. You can still find bits of that history in the quiet resort town.
Papudo at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Central Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes
- Alluring South America IExplore
- Chile Experience — $4,089 IExplore
- Breathtaking Patagonia — $7,995 IExplore