The Central Coast Experience
Top Reasons to Go
Riding the ascensores: Valparaíso's steep hills are smoothed out a bit by the ascensores, or funiculars, that shuttle locals between their jobs near the port and their homes in the hills.
Beautiful beaches: Thousands of Santiaguinos flock to the Central Coast's beaches every summer, where dozens and dozens of seafood shacks serve the masses.
Superb shopping: The streets of Cerro Alegro and Cerro Concepción in Valparaíso are lined with shops selling everything from finely wrought jewelry to hand-tooled leather, while Viña has everything from large department stores and outlet malls to trendy shops and boutiques.
Seafood straight from the net: Almost every town on the Central Coast has its own wharf where fishermen land with last night's catch. Bustling with shoppers, the caleta offers an excellent biology lesson on the diversity of sealife in addition to, of course, many a gastronomic treat.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's