- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Parque Bernardo O'Higgins
Parque Bernardo O'Higgins Review
Named for Chile's first president and national hero, whose troops were victorious against the Spanish, this park has plenty of open space for everything from ball games to military parades. Street vendors sell volantines (kites) outside the park year-round; high winds make September and early October the prime kite-flying season. Children take advantage of the spring winds to practice this traditional—and highly competitive—pastime, and parks start to fill with the ramadas at which Chileans gather to drink, eat, dance, and generally celebrate the September 18 Independence Day.
- Address: Autopista Central between Av. Blanco Encalada and Av. Rondizonni, Santiago Centro, Santiago
- Phone: 2/556-7307
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily 7 am--8 pm
- Metro Parque O'Higgins.
- Location: Santiago Centro
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes
This is the beginning of what will probably be a very long trip report spread over the next few months. Read more
For 12 years+, our "winter's vacation" see us in Tucson, White Stallion ranch for 7-10 days : sun, horses, hikes,...
Anny could no more ride and Salome our daughter is now in university and so this destinatio Read more
Me, my wife and our 8-yr old are planning on making a trip to Easter Island and Santiago in mid-April 2014. I am using my airline miles to buy the tickets; hence the need to plan a year in advance. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Atacama desert in Chile is the driest place on Earth.... Read more
Wine and beer treatments might be old hat in Europe, but from Chicago to Chile, New World spas are discovering... Read more