Conquistador Pedro de Valdivia declared in 1541 that a house of worship would be constructed at this site bordering the Plaza de Armas. The first adobe building burned to the ground, and the structures that replaced it were destroyed by the earthquakes of 1647 and 1730. The finishing touches of the neoclassical cathedral standing today were added in 1789 by Italian architect Joaquín Toesca. Be sure to see the baroque interior with its line of arches topped by stained-glass
windows parading down the long nave, and look out for the sparkling silver altar of a side chapel in the south nave.
Plaza de Armas, Santiago, Chile