- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Cerro San Cristóbal
Cerro San Cristóbal Review
St. Christopher's Hill, within Parque Metropolitano, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Santiago. From the western entrance at Plaza Caupolicán you can walk—it's a steep but enjoyable one-hour climb—or take the funicular. (The funicular, which opened in 1925, is a historic monument.) Either route leads you to the summit, which is crowned by a gleaming white statue of the Virgen de la Inmaculada Concepción. From either entrance you can drive up by car (entrance fee of 2,000 pesos per vehicle). Until it broke down in 2009, the teleférico (cable car) ascended from the eastern entrance, seven blocks north of the Pedro de Valdivia metro stop. At this writing teleférico operations are suspended, and it's not clear whether the cable car will be repaired or whether the entire system will be replaced, likely putting operations on hold until 2011 or longer.
- Address: Cerro San Cristóbal, Bellavista, Santiago,
- Phone: 2/730-1300
- Cost: Round-trip funicular 1,600 pesos, round-trip cable car 1,800 pesos
- Hours: Park daily 8:30 am--9 pm. Funicular Mon. 1--8, Tues.--Sun. 10--8
- Website: www.parquemet.cl
- Metro Baquedano, Pedro de Valdivia.
- Location: Bellavista
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
This is the beginning of what will probably be a very long trip report spread over the next few months. Read more
For 12 years+, our "winter's vacation" see us in Tucson, White Stallion ranch for 7-10 days : sun, horses, hikes,...
Anny could no more ride and Salome our daughter is now in university and so this destinatio Read more
I am flying on LAN from El Calafate to Buenos Aires to Santiago on one ticket that arrives in Santiago at 8:20pm. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls ... Read more
The Atacama desert in Chile is the driest place on Earth.... Read more
Wine and beer treatments might be old hat in Europe, but from Chicago to Chile, New World spas are discovering... Read more