- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Portillo is three hours north of Santiago. Call the hotel there ahead of time to find out about road conditions.
By car from Santiago, take the Américo Vespucio beltway north and exit onto the Los Libertadores Highway to Los Andes. From Los Andes, take the International Highway (Ruta 60) east until you reach the resort. International car rental agencies (such as Hertz and Avis) in Santiago can provide vehicles equipped with snow chains for climbs to the Andes.
Skitotal has service to Portillo; buses depart from the company's office on Avenida Apoquindo. Buses depart approximately every 30 minutes starting at 7:30 am; a round-trip ticket costs 20,000 pesos. Ten-person minibuses are 100,000 pesos with Skitotal. Manzur Expediciones runs minibuses to Portillo on weekends for 20,000 pesos. Buses leave at 7:30 am from Ramón Carnicer 5, (just off the Plaza Baquedano). Prior booking is essential.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes