- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you happen to be in Santiago on one of those lovely winter days when the sun comes out after rain has cleared the air, head straight for Parque Metropolitano. In the center is Cerro San Cristóbal, a hill reached via funicular railway, cable car (suspended indefinitely in 2009), or automobile. A journey to the top of the hill rewards you with spectacular views of the city nestling below the snow-covered Andes Mountains. In the shadow of Cerro San Cristóbal is Bellavista. The neighborhood has but one sight—the poet Pablo Neruda's hillside home of La Chascona—but it's perhaps the city's best place to wander. You're sure to discover interesting antiques shops, little art galleries, and adventurous and colorful eateries.
Bellavista at a Glance
Elsewhere in Santiago
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's