Horse Racing in Santiago
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Betting on horses is popular in Santiago, which is the reason you'll see so many Teletrak betting offices. The city has two large racetracks.
Races take place Friday and alternating Mondays at Club Hipico, south of downtown. El Ensayo, an annual race that's a century-old tradition, is held here in early November. Blanco Encalada 2540, Santiago Centro, Santiago. 2/693-9600. www.clubhipico.cl.
Hipodromo Chile is the home of the prestigious Gran Premio Internacional, which draws competitors from around South America. Regular races are held Saturday and three Thursdays a month. Hipodromo Chile 1715, Independencia, Santiago. 2/270-9237. www.hipodromo.cl.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe