- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Iquique's Diego Aracena airport (IQQ) is about 45 minutes from downtown proper (35 km [22 mi]; 12,000 pesos in taxi fare) and is served by the three major airlines: Sky, Air Comet, and LAN. Iquique is about seven hours via bus or car from Calama (400 km [249 mi]); once you've turned off the Pan-American Highway it's a narrow, serpentine road down to the town, so don't try passing any of the big trucks or other vehicles that may be slowing you down. The tourist sights of Mamiña, Pica, and the Gigante de Atacama can all be done in one day's driving, and if you don't want to drive yourself, two tour companies in town offer all-inclusive tours. There are two official taxi stands, one on Plaza Prat and one on the pedestrian street of Baquedano. Both will quote you rates to and from the airport, as well as day tours to nearby sites like the Gigante de Atacama, Humberstone, and Mamiña. To get to Pica, La Tirana, and the surrounding sights from Iquique, head south on Ruta 5 (Pan-American Highway) to Km 1,800 (Cruce Sara). Head east on Ruta 685. As for rental cars, the best deals are in Iquique, but cars rented here can't be taken out of the area.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's