El Norte Grande Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Valle de la Luna: Within the Reserva Nacional Los Flamencos lies the Valle de la Luna, a place most visitors to northern Chile will not want to miss. This magical moonlike landscape, filled with dusty gray desert sand dunes and deep valleys, is one of the top places in Chile to watch the sunset.
Flora and fauna: Yes, the Atacama Desert is one of the driest places on earth. But head to the Chilean Altiplano, just a few hours east of Arica, and you'll find an abundance of fauna and, depending on the season, flora. Pink flamingos dot the edges of volcanic lakes like Lago Chungará on the Bolivian border, and slender brown vicuñas—treasured for their fur, the finest of the American camelids—run in small herds through the sparse grasslands.
Pristine beaches: Pristine sands line the shore near Arica and Iquique. They are packed during summer months, but outside of these you just might have the beach to yourself.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's