El Norte Chico Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
El Norte Chico Restaurant Reviews
El Norte Chico is not known for its gastronomy, although the food here is simple, unpretentious, and often quite good. Along the coast you'll find abundant seafood. Don't pass up the merluza con salsa margarita (hake with a butter sauce featuring almost every kind of shellfish imaginable) or choritos al vapor (mussels steamed in white wine). Inland you come across country-style cabrito (goat), conejo (rabbit), and pinchones escabechadas (baby pigeons). Don't forget to order a pisco sour, the frothy concoction made with a grape-based brandy distilled in the Elqui Valley.
People in El Norte Chico generally eat a heavy lunch around 2 pm that can last two hours, followed by a light dinner around 10 pm. Reservations are seldom needed, except in the fanciest restaurants. Leave a 10% tip if you enjoyed the service.
Browse El Norte Chico Restaurants
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe