- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
La Serena is almost exactly 300 mi north of Santiago via Ruta 5, the Pan-American Highway. A bus trip will take about six hours from the capital, often with a stop in Ovalle (from which it's an hour or less to La Serena). La Serena's bus terminal on Avenida Amunátagui is a 10-minute ride from downtown (colectivos 21 and 44 make the trip for less than a dollar). Daily flights from Santiago take about an hour to reach La Serena's La Florida Airport, which is 20 to 30 minutes from downtown via car or taxi. The Pan-American Highway runs right through town if you follow Avenida Francisco de Aguirre toward the ocean. The Elqui Valley is just an hour to the east of La Serena via Route 41.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's