Easter Island Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Astounding archaeology: Whether it's the ubiquitous moai, the petroglyphs in the ancient village of Orongo, or the cave paintings, Easter Island is an open-air museum with a turbulent and mysterious past.
Wonderful walking: Easter Island's rolling hills, with the white-flecked ocean rarely out of sight, offer some glorious walking, especially along the north coast.
Extraordinary diving: Diving into the cobalt-blue waters is one of the most popular pastimes on Easter Island. Visibility is up to 120 feet, so you won't miss the bright tropical fish or the turtles. Coral formations like the Cavern of the Three Windows make for an unforgettable underwater experience.
Souvenir shopping: The locals have carved a living out of the stone and driftwood of Rapa Nui. Local handicrafts include miniature moai, elaborate bowls, eerie masks, and shell jewelry.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe