- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
In the central part of the Isla Grande de Chiloé, Castro is only about one hour's drive from Ancud along Ruta 5, the Pan-American Highway. For a more interesting route, take the coastal, unpaved road to Castro via Quemchi. That will take twice as long, but you pass by numerous tourist sites.
There is regular and frequent bus service from the bus terminal in Puerto Montt to Castro, which takes about four hours. Buses Arroyo has routes throughout Chiloé and the Lake District. Queilén and Gallardo operate on Chiloé Island only. Dalcahue Expreso is a local bus between Castro and Dalcahue. Cruz del Sur and Tur-Bus are long-distance buses that have routes throughout the country and into Argentina.You should reserve ahead for buses.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's