- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Touring the three states of this region—roughly the size of France—in a short time is a challenge, despite a relatively efficient transportation network. The South can be divided into two major areas—the coast and the interior. Coastal attractions, along a 700-km (450-mi) line from Curitiba south to Porto Alegre, include fantastic beaches, forested slopes, canyons, and the Serra do Mar mountains. In the interior, Foz do Iguaçu, far to the west, should not be missed.
The state of Paraná has a very short coastline of about 100 km (62 mi), with islands and historical cities. Curitiba, the capital, known internationally as a green city for its innovative urban planning and many parks, is about 90 km (56 mi) from the coast, on a plateau. West of Curitiba lies the vast interior, which incorporates Vila Velha State Park, with its ancient sandstone formations, and stretches all the way to the Paraguayan border and Foz do Iguaçu.
Foz do Iguaçu
The grandeur of this vast sheet of white water cascading in constant cymbal-banging cacophony makes Niagara Falls and Victoria Falls seem sedate. Allow at least two full days to take in this magnificent sight, and be sure to see it from both the Argentine and Brazilian sides
Geographically, Santa Catarina is the opposite of Paraná: a long coastline of about 500 km (310 mi) and narrow interior. Most of the attractions are on or near the coast. Santa Catarina has some of the best beaches in South Atlantic. The capital, Florianópolis, an ideal hub for exploring the state's attractions, is on the Ilha de Santa Catarina (Santa Catarina Island).
Rio Grande do Sul
Most tourist attractions in this state, with equal parts coast and interior, are in the heavily populated northeastern corner, including the capital, Porto Alegre, about 100 km (62 mi) from the coast. One highlight in the west are the Jesuit mission ruins in São Miguel.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio de Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes