- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The beaches around the city of Torres are Rio Grande do Sul's most exciting. The sophistication of the seaside areas attracts international travelers, particularly Argentines and Uruguayans. Some of the best beaches are Praia da Cal, Praia da Guarita, and Praia Grande. The Parque Estadual da Guarita (Watchtower State Park), 3 km (2 miles) south of downtown, was set aside to protect the area's unique vegetation as well as the basalt hills that end abruptly in the Atlantic. Locals like to fish from these cliffs. South of Torres, and extending well into Uruguay, the coastline is a 650-km-long (400-mile-long) sandy stretch interrupted only by a few river deltas and lagoons.
Torres at a Glance
Elsewhere in The South
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's