- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
São Miguel das Missões
Of seven large missions in the area dating from the late 1600s to mid-1700s, São Miguel is the best preserved and the only one that has tourism infrastructure and allows visitors. The 120-acre Parque Histórico de São Miguel was created around the mission, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. A nondescript town of about 7,000 has grown around the mission site and shares its name. Joining an organized, Porto Alegre–based tour with an English-speaking guide is the recommended option for visiting the mission.
São Miguel das Missões at a Glance
Elsewhere in The South
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's