- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Itaipú Dam and Hydroelectric Power Plant
Itaipú Dam and Hydroelectric Power Plant Review
It took more than 30,000 workers eight years to build this 8-km (5-mile) dam, voted one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The monumental structure produces 25% of Brazil's electricity and 78% of Paraguay's, and was the largest hydroelectric power plant in the world until China's Three Gorges (Yangtze) Dam was completed.
You get plenty of insight into how proud this makes the Brazilian government—and some idea of how the dam was built—during the 30-minute video that precedes hour-long guided panoramic bus tours of the complex. Although commentaries are humdrum, the sheer size of the dam is an impressive sight. To see more than a view over the spillways, consider the special tours, which take you inside the cavernous structure and include a visit to the control room. Night tours—which include a light-and-sound show—begin at 8 on Friday and Saturday, 9 during the summer months (reserve ahead).
Ecomuseu de Itaipú. At the Ecomuseu de Itaipú you can learn about the geology, archaeology, and efforts to preserve the flora and fauna of the area since the Itaipú Dam and Hydoelectric Power Plant was built. Note, however, that this museum is funded by the dam's operator, Itaipú Binacional, so the information isn't necessarily objective. Av. Tancredo Neves 6001, 85867–970. 045/3520–6398. www.turismoitaipu.com.br. R$10. Tues.–Sun 8–4:30.
- Address: Av. Tancredo Neves 6702, Foz do Iguaçu, 85867–970 | Map It
- Phone: 0800/645–4645
- Cost: Panoramic tour R$24, special tour R$60
- Hours: Regular tours daily 8–4 (hourly on the hour). Special tours daily 8, 8:30, 10, 10:30, 1:30, 2, 3:30, and 4
- Website: www.turismoitaipu.com.br
- Location: Iguaçu Falls
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
I am terribly late in posting this. Read more
My husband and I are thinking of an eight day (not including travel time) trip to Brazil this February. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more