When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
High season corresponds to school vacations (July) and the period between Christmas and Carnival (late December–mid-March). Prices are better off-season, but if you've come to partake in festivities, Olinda has one of the best Carnival celebrations in the country. Also, the region has two of the most popular out-of-season Carnival celebrations: Carnatal in Natal, on the first weekend in December; and Fortal in Fortaleza, on the last weekend in July. Temperatures hover between about 20°C and 35°C (70°F and 95°F) year-round—temperatures get hotter the farther north you go. Rain is heaviest from May to August in Recife. In Fortaleza, March and April are the rainiest months. Natal sits at about 25°C (75°F) year-round; it sees much less rain than Fortaleza or Recife, but April through July are the wettest months.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe