- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Brazil 2014
Porto de Galinhas
Porto de Galinhas Review
Once considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil, this historic port has lost a considerable dose of its original charm because of the increasingly heavy influx of tourists drawn to the beach's transparent natural swimming pools. If you don't mind sharing the beauty, there is a good variety of accommodation options and restaurants, as well as jangadas (small boats) for hire. The beach, which follows the curve of a bay lined with coconut palms and cashew trees, gets crowded on weekends year-round. You shouldn't expect to spot any chickens—Porto das Galinhas (Port of Chickens) earned its name as a hub of illegal slave trading after abolition, when slaves from Africa would arrive hidden under guinea-fowl crates, and traders would be alerted that the "chickens had arrived." Amenities: food and drink; lifguards; parking (fee); showers; toilets; water sports. Best for: partiers; snorkeling; sunrise; surfing.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We took a 10 day trip with Gate One Travel. Read more
I leave today for a 9 day trip to South America with three great friends (Betsy, Carolina, and Sandy). Read more
I have recently bought a flight to Buenos Aires and am planning to visit south America for 3 months ( May 12th to August 4th ) wooo hooo!!!! . I have less than 2 months to plan the greates Read more