- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For centuries the treacherous offshore reefs that gave Recife its name have struck fear into the hearts of sailors. Many a vessel has failed to navigate the natural harbor successfully. Though diving is practiced year-round, visibility is best between October and May, when the wind and water are at their calmest. Seagate. This tour operator offers diving courses, rents equipment, and runs trips for certified divers. Av. Herculano Bandeira 287, Pólo Pina, Recife, 51110-130. 081/3463-0523. www.seagaterecife.com.br.
Under the Sea
More than a dozen shipwrecks make good destinations for underwater explorers of all experience levels. The Vapor de Baixo is one such dive site. Bombed by the Germans during World War II, it's 20 meters (65 feet) down and is crawling with lobsters and turtles.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Scuba Diving
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio de Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes