- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Caruaru and its crafts center, Alto do Moura (6 km/4 miles south of Caruaru), became famous in the 1960s and '70s for clay figurines made by local artisan Mestre Vitalino. There are now more than 500 craftspeople working in Alto do Moura. All are inspired by Vitalino, whose former home is now a museum, open Monday through Saturday 8-noon and 2-6 and Sunday 8-noon. At the crafts center you can buy not only figurines, which depict Northeasterners doing everyday things, but also watch the artisans work.
Caruaru at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Northeast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's