- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Macapá is on the north channel of the Amazon Delta and, like Belém, was built by the Portuguese as an outpost. Today it's the capital of and the largest city in the Amapá State, with 150,000 people. It's also one of only five metropolises in the world that sit on the equator. Macapá's main lure is as a base for trips to see an extraordinary phenomenon—the pororoca (riptide).
Macapá at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Amazon
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe