- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the oldest settlements in Brazil, Cabo Frio was established in the early 1500s as a port from which wood was shipped to Portugal. Today it's best known for its lovely seaside setting and fresh seafood. Cabo Frio is a popular weekend getaway for residents of Rio de Janeiro and a favorite destination for water-sports enthusiasts. Don't miss the chance to go diving in Arraial do Cabo, which has some of the clearest water in Brazil.
Although they tend to be cheaper, Cabo Frio hotels are not as nice as those in nearby Búzios. If you are looking for chic lodgings, you're better off staying in Búzios and taking a day trip to Cabo Frio.
Cabo Frio at a Glance
Experience Cabo Frio
Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's