- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Not too long ago, Porto Seguro (Safe Harbor) was a serene fishing village. Now it's one of the prime tourist destinations in the country for Brazilians, and the access point for travelers eager to visit deserted beaches and small villages that encapsulate what Porto Seguro once was. Hotels, inns, and restaurants have risen to please nearly every need or taste, although many former fans argue it has become too busy and commercial.
Porto Seguro has an intense atmosphere comparable only to Salvador in Bahia. Picture a city whose main drag is called "Passarela do Alcool" (Booze Walkway). Carnival is a major event here, drawing hundreds of thousands of tourists. The beaches north of the city are recommended for those looking for calmer grounds.
Porto Seguro at a Glance
Elsewhere in Salvador and the Bahia Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's