Salvador and the Bahia Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Soak Up the Sun: Warm waters year-round and a continuous lineup of beautiful beaches from south to north make Bahia one of the premier destinations in Brazil for soaking up the sun.
Unique Cuisine: Bahia's African influence on Portuguese and native Brazilian food has resulted in a distinct regional cuisine.
Carnival: Salvador is one of the top spots in Brazil to celebrate Carnival—its trios eléctricos, street parades, and array of big-name entertainers combine for one long, nonstop party you won't forget.
Afro-Brazilian Culture: Salvador is the capital of Afro-Brazilian culture and its historic center, Pelourinho, is a World Heritage site with stunning monuments.
Bahian Music: The top names in Brazilian music, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa, Maria Bethânia, who were some of the musicians nicknamed Novo Baianos (New Bahians), are de facto ambassadors of Bahian music.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's