- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
West of Downtown
Neighborhoods west of downtown are mainly residential. Some are middle-class and some are poor. Unless you're a local, it's hard to know which areas are safe and which are not, so you should avoid wandering around. One exception is pleasant Quinta da Boa Vista, which is fine to wander. You can easily get here by metro, but avoid coming after dark.
West of Downtown at a Glance
Elsewhere in Rio de Janeiro
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's