- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Metrô Rio, the subway system, is clean, relatively safe, and efficient—a delight to use—but it's not comprehensive. The metro is a great option to get from Centro to Ipanema, for instance, but not to Leblon, because the southernmost metro stop, Ipanema/General Osório, is on the opposite side of Ipanema. The metro shuttle can get you to and from Ipanema/General Osório to Gávea, Lagoa, and farther west to Barra da Tijuca. (At this writing, work was underway to extend the metro as far as Barra da Tijuca in time for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.) Reaching sights distant from metro stations can be a challenge, especially in summer, when beach traffic increases. Tourism offices and some metro stations have maps.
Trains operate daily between 5 am and midnight except on Sundays and holidays, when they run between 7 am and 11 pm. A single metro ticket costs R$3.20.
Metrô Rio (Av. Presidente Vargas 2000, Centro, Rio de Janeiro, 20210–031. 021/3211–6300 information line. www.metrorio.com.br.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe