- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nearly three dozen airlines regularly serve Rio, but most flights (from North America) stop first in São Paulo. Several of the international carriers also offer Rio-São Paulo flights.
All international flights and most domestic flights arrive and depart from the Aeroporto Internacional Antônio Carlos Jobim, also known as Galeão (GIG). The airport is about 45 minutes northwest of the beach area and most of Rio's hotels. Aeroporto Santos Dumont (SDU), 20 minutes from the beaches and within walking distance of Centro, is served by the Rio-São Paulo air shuttle and a few air-taxi firms.
Aeroporto Internacional Antônio Carlos Jobim (21/3398-4526.)
Aeroporto Santos Dumont (Praça Senador Salgado Filho s/n°, Centro, Rio de Janeiro, 20021-340. 21/3814-7070.)
Special airport taxis have booths in the arrival areas of both airports. Fares to all parts of Rio are posted at the booths, and you pay in advance (about R$41-R$56). Also trustworthy are the white radio taxis parked in the same areas; these charge an average of 20% less. Three reliable special taxi firms are Transcoopass, Cootramo, and Coopertramo.
Buses run by Empresa Real park curbside outside customs at Galeão and outside the main door at Santos Dumont; for R$5 they make the hour-long trip from Galeão into the city, following the beachfront drives and stopping at all hotels along the way. If your hotel is inland, the driver will let you off at the nearest corner. Buses leave from the airport every half hour from 5:20 am to 11 pm. Two of the taxi firms have vans at the international airport: Cootramo has a van (with 11 seats) to downtown for R$57 and to Copacabana for R$78. Coopertramo does the same for R$70 and R$80, but the van has a capacity to transport 15.
Cootramo (21/2560-5442, 21/3976-9944, or 21/3976-9945.)
Empresa Real (21/2560-7041 or 0800/24-0850. www.realautoonibus.com.br.)
Transcoopass (21/2560-4888. www.transcoopass.com.br.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes