The classic symmetry of Candelária's white dome and bell towers casts an unexpected air of tranquillity over the chaos of downtown traffic. The church was built on the site of a chapel founded in 1610 by Antônio de Palma after he survived a shipwreck; paintings in the present dome tell his tale. Construction on the present church began in 1775, and although the emperor formally dedicated it in 1811, work on the dome wasn't completed until 1877. The sculpted bronze doors were exhibited at the 1889 World's Fair in Paris.
Praça Pio X, Rio de Janeiro, 20040–020, Brazil