- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo 2014
Lapa Street Party
Lapa Street Party Review
Lapa's transformation from no-go area to must-go party district has been dramatic, and the ongoing gentrification of this formerly neglected part of downtown has extended to the weekend street parties held in the area surrounding the Arcos da Lapa (Lapa Aqueduct). On Fridays and Saturdays, smart-looking canvas kiosks sprout up, offering everything from super-strong fruit cocktails to alcohol-absorbing pizzas and burgers, and thousands of revelers from come to rub shoulders. The lively scene often involves impromptu music performances, and the party doesn't wind down until the sun rises. Both men and women should be prepared for an onslaught of attention from locals. If this attention is unwanted, be polite but clear and walk away—small talk may be perceived as flirting. An increased police presence has made Lapa safer than it was, but pickpocketing remains a problem, so don't bring valuables here.
- Address: Rua dos Arcos, Lapa, Rio de Janeiro, 20230–060
- Metrô: Carioca.
- Location: Santa Teresa and Lapa
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We took a 10 day trip with Gate One Travel. Read more
I leave today for a 9 day trip to South America with three great friends (Betsy, Carolina, and Sandy). Read more
I have recently bought a flight to Buenos Aires and am planning to visit south America for 3 months ( May 12th to August 4th ) wooo hooo!!!! . I have less than 2 months to plan the greates Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more