- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lapa Street Party
Lapa Street Party Review
Lapa's transformation from no-go area to must-go party district has been dramatic, and the ongoing gentrification of this formerly neglected part of downtown has extended to the weekend street parties held in the area surrounding the Arcos da Lapa (Lapa Aqueduct). On Fridays and Saturdays, smart-looking canvas kiosks sprout up, offering everything from super-strong fruit cocktails to alcohol-absorbing pizzas and burgers, and thousands of revelers from come to rub shoulders. The lively scene often involves impromptu music performances, and the party doesn't wind down until the sun rises. Both men and women should be prepared for an onslaught of attention from locals. If this attention is unwanted, be polite but clear and walk away—small talk may be perceived as flirting. An increased police presence has made Lapa safer than it was, but pickpocketing remains a problem, so don't bring valuables here.
- Address: Rua dos Arcos, Lapa, Rio de Janeiro, 20230–060
- Metrô: Carioca.
- Location: Santa Teresa and Lapa
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
I am terribly late in posting this. Read more
My husband and I are thinking of an eight day (not including travel time) trip to Brazil this February. Read more
· News & Features
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more