- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo 2014
At a Glance
- historic landmark
- front-facing rooms have spectacular views
- great on-site restaurant
- area is a little seedy at night
- need to take taxis to best bars and restaurants
- "city view" rooms have poor views of backstreets
Check Rates from our Partners
Copacabana Palace Review
Built in 1923 for the visiting king of Belgium and inspired by Nice's Negresco and Cannes's Carlton, the Copacabana was the first luxury hotel in South America, and it's still one of the top hotels on the continent. Marlene Dietrich, Robert DeNiro, and Princess Diana are among the many famous faces to have stayed here. The hotel's neoclassical facade is beautifully maintained and remains a glimmering white. Inside you can find one of the city's largest and most attractive swimming pools. One of Copacabana Palace's two restaurants, the Cipriani, is rated among the city's best for its northern Italian cuisine, while the Saturday feijoada, served in the less formal Pergula restaurant by the pool, is legendary. The interior of the hotel is as glittering white as its facade, and the look is cool, elegant, and luxurious—from the marble reception desk to the immaculately attired bellboys and the luxury spa, installed in 2007. A glittering poolside nightclub, Bar do Copa, has been a favorite among glamorous Rio socialites since it opened in 2011. The cover charge can be as high as R$120, but hotel guests can enter the exclusive spot for free on Thursday evenings. Oceanview rooms are more expensive than those at the back, whose view of the Copacabana streets somewhat detracts from the glamorous atmosphere. A genuine Rio landmark, Copacabana Palace remains the stomping ground of the rich and fabulous despite a growing preference for Ipanema and Leblon over Copacabana. However, the nightlife in this district is less sophisticated, and you're likely to find yourself making nightly cab journeys to Ipanema and Leblon.
- Address: Av. Atlântica 1702, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, 22021–001 | Map It
- Phone: 021/2548–7070; 0800/21–1533; 800/237–1236 in U.S.
- Website: www.copacabanapalace.com.br
- Metrô: Cardeal Arcoverde.
- Location: Copacabana and Leme
- 129 rooms, 116 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We took a 10 day trip with Gate One Travel. Read more
I leave today for a 9 day trip to South America with three great friends (Betsy, Carolina, and Sandy). Read more
I have recently bought a flight to Buenos Aires and am planning to visit south America for 3 months ( May 12th to August 4th ) wooo hooo!!!! . I have less than 2 months to plan the greates Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more