- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- historic landmark
- front-facing rooms have spectacular views
- great on-site restaurant
- area is a little seedy at night
- need to take taxis to best bars and restaurants
- "city view" rooms have poor views of backstreets
Check Rates from our Partners
Copacabana Palace Review
Built in 1923 for the visiting king of Belgium and inspired by Nice's Negresco and Cannes's Carlton, the Copacabana was the first luxury hotel in South America, and it's still one of the top hotels on the continent. Marlene Dietrich, Robert DeNiro, and Princess Diana are among the many famous faces to have stayed here. The hotel's neoclassical facade is beautifully maintained and remains a glimmering white. Inside you can find one of the city's largest and most attractive swimming pools. One of Copacabana Palace's two restaurants, the Cipriani, is rated among the city's best for its northern Italian cuisine, while the Saturday feijoada, served in the less formal Pergula restaurant by the pool, is legendary. The interior of the hotel is as glittering white as its facade, and the look is cool, elegant, and luxurious—from the marble reception desk to the immaculately attired bellboys and the luxury spa, installed in 2007. A glittering poolside nightclub, Bar do Copa, has been a favorite among glamorous Rio socialites since it opened in 2011. The cover charge can be as high as R$120, but hotel guests can enter the exclusive spot for free on Thursday evenings. Oceanview rooms are more expensive than those at the back, whose view of the Copacabana streets somewhat detracts from the glamorous atmosphere. A genuine Rio landmark, Copacabana Palace remains the stomping ground of the rich and fabulous despite a growing preference for Ipanema and Leblon over Copacabana. However, the nightlife in this district is less sophisticated, and you're likely to find yourself making nightly cab journeys to Ipanema and Leblon.
- Address: Av. Atlântica 1702, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, 22021–001 | Map It
- Phone: 021/2548–7070; 0800/21–1533; 800/237–1236 in U.S.
- Website: www.copacabanapalace.com.br
- Metrô: Cardeal Arcoverde.
- Location: Copacabana and Leme
- 129 rooms, 116 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
I am terribly late in posting this. Read more
We are starting to plan a return trip to Brazil in 2015 to see the Amazon and Northern beaches. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more