The aptly named Church of Our Lady of the Glory of the Knoll (Church of Glory for short) is visible from many spots in the city, making it a landmark that's truly cherished by the cariocas. Its location was a strategic point in the city's early days. Estácio da Sá took this hill from the French in the 1560s and then went on to expand the first settlement and to found a city for the Portuguese. The baroque church, which wasn't built until 1739, is notable for its octagonal
floor plan, large dome, ornamental stonework, and vivid tile work. The small museum here contains baroque art. Tours are given by appointment only.