- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Palácio do Catete
Palácio do Catete Review
Once the villa of a German baron, the elegant, 19th-century granite-and-marble palace became the presidential residence after the 1889 coup overthrew the monarchy and established the Republic of Brazil. Eighteen presidents lived here. Gaze at the palace's gleaming parquet floors and intricate bas-relief ceilings as you wander through its Museu da República (Museum of the Republic). The permanent exhibits include a shroud-draped view of the bedroom where President Getúlio Vargas committed suicide in 1954 after the military threatened to overthrow his government. Presidential memorabilia, furniture, and paintings that date from the proclamation of the republic to the end of Brazil's military regime in 1985 are also displayed. A small contemporary art gallery, a movie theater, a restaurant, and a theater operate within the museum.
- Address: Rua do Catete 153, Catete, Rio de Janeiro, 22220-000 | Map It
- Phone: 21/3235-3693
- Cost: Tues. and Thurs.--Sat., R$6. Wed. and Sun., free
- Hours: Tues., Thurs., and Fri. noon--5, Wed. 2--5, weekends 2--6
- Website: www.museudarepublica.org.br/
- Metrô: Catete.
- Location: Centro and Environs
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio de Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes
As I posted on my planning thread (http://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/need-help-urgently-with-planning-eight-week-trip.cfm ) I'm a mid sixties, solo, female traveler, headed to South America Read more
My movie, “Tango and Samba Falls”, presents highlights of Argentina and Brazil, starring Buenos Aires, Rio De Janeiro, and Iguazu Falls. Read more
Hi fellow travellers!
I am just beginning my planning to South America for 5 months next year and have no idea where to start. I have no idea how much much I will need however have been saving so should Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more