Rio de Janeiro Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
To cariocas, where you hang out on the beach says a lot about you. Each of Rio's beaches has its own style, and the longer stretches of sand are themselves informally divided according to social groupings and lifestyles. There are sections of beach for singles, families, sporty types, and those looking for a quiet time. Cariocas who choose to bronze their bodies at Ipanema are generally considered to be more chic than those who catch their rays at Copacabana, with Ipanema's Posto Nove (lifeguard post 9) the hangout of choice for a young, fashionable crowd. Nearby, a vast rainbow flag in front of Rua Farme do Amoeda marks Ipanema Beach's gay and lesbian section. Families and beachgoers who prefer working on their tans to making new friends, on the other hand, largely populate Leblon Beach.
Wherever you choose to make your beach base, note that bringing along a beach towel constitutes a social faux pas. Women should equip themselves with a colorful sarong, and men are expected to remain either standing or engaged in sporting activity.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's