Surfing in Rio de Janeiro
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Surfing remains hugely popular in Rio, but kite surfing is growing rapidly, too, with several schools opening on Barra beachfront and out of town toward Cabo Frio.
Escola de Surf do Arpoador. The most consistent break in the city has its own surf school based on the beach; call up or stop by to book an early-morning appointment. Avenida Francisco Bhering s/n, In front of Posto 7, Arpoador, Rio de Janeiro, 22080–050. 021/9180–2287. www.surfrio.com.br.
Kitepoint Rio. One of several companies based in huts along Avenida do Pepê near Posto 7, Kitepoint provides all the equipment and training you'll need to master the sport of kite surfing. Wind conditions have to be just right, though, so patience is a virtue when seeking lessons. Ave do Pepê, Kiosk 7, Next to Bombeiro, Barra, Rio de Janeiro, 22622–170. 021/8859–2112. www.kitepointrio.com.br.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's