Soccer in Rio de Janeiro
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Estádio Maracanã. The vast stadium is nothing short of legendary, and watching a soccer game here is a must if the season (from mid-January to November) is in swing. As entertaining as some of the games are the obsessive supporters, devoted to their team colors but not afraid to trash their own players, the opposition, other fans, and of course the referee. The huge flags and fireworks are always spectacular. Tickets are available in advance and often on game day from the stadium ticket office. The branco or white section of the archibancado, or upper tier, is the safest option for the neutral fan. Expect to pay around R$35 for a ticket there, and arrive in good time to grab the best seats and soak up the atmosphere. Major refurbishments were made to prepare the 78,838-seat stadium for the FIFA 2014 World Cup. Rua Prof. Eurico Rabelo s/n, Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro, 20271–150. 021/8871–3950.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's