- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The grandeur of Sabará's baroque churches, their interiors rich with gold-leaf paneling, makes clear how enormously wealthy Minas Gerais was during the gold-rush days. This former colonial town, now a sprawling Belo Horizonte suburb of 140,000 people, makes for a fun half-day trip. Sabará's historic sites are scattered about, but signs at Praça Santa Rita point to all the major ones. As in most colonial towns, the churches are closed on Mondays.
Sabará at a Glance
Elsewhere in Minas Gerais
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe