On a hill east of Praça Tiradentes, this interesting slave church was built over the course of 60 years (1730–90) and was funded by Chico-Rei. This African ruler was captured during Brazil's gold rush and sold to a mine owner in Minas Gerais. Chico eventually earned enough money to buy his freedom—in the days before the Portuguese prohibited such acts—and became a hero among slaves. The clocks on the facade are the city's oldest, and the interior contains cedar
sculptures by Francisco Xavier de Brito, Aleijadinho's teacher.
Rua de Santa Efigênia s/n, Ouro Preto, 35400–000, Brazil