The impressive Our Lady of Carmel Church, completed in 1776, contains the last works of Aleijadinho. It was originally designed by Aleijadinho's father, an architect, but was later modified by Aleijadinho, who added additional rococo elements, including the soapstone sculptures of angels above the entrance. Frequented by the high society of Ouro Preto at the time it was inaugurated, the church contains the only examples of azulejos (decorative Portuguese tiles)
from this period in Minas Gerais.
Praça Brigadeiro Musqueira s/n, Ouro Preto, 35400–000, Brazil