Minas Gerais Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Minas Gerais
Colonial Towns: Walk on the paralelepípedos (cobblestones) in Ouro Preto, Diamantina, and Tiradentes, all magnificently preserved baroque towns of white and pastel houses and churches.
Stunning Architecture: Seeing the baroque gems of architect and sculptor Aleijadinho, whom an ex-curator of the Louvre called the "Michelangelo of the Tropics."
Traditional Cuisine: Indulge your taste buds in every Brazilian's favorite culinary state—if only for the pão de queijo (cheese bread) and the doce de leite ("sweet of the milk"), a boiled version of condensed milk.
Shimming Gems: Check out the colored gemstones (Minas Gerais produces the most in the world), including amethysts, aquamarines, tourmalines, and emeralds—and the imperial topaz, which can only be found in Ouro Preto and in the Ural mountains in Russia.
Parks and Spas: Hike, horseback ride, and swim in and around the beautiful national parks and natural springs tapped by numerous spa towns.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's