- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alto Paraíso de Goiás
This city is known throughout Brazil as a center of unexplained phenomena. The remoteness of the region—paved roads arrived about 20 years ago—gave birth to many stories about flying saucers and extraterrestrial beings. Many residents were attracted by the city's otherworldly vibe. Others came for the spectacular landscape. In sharp contrast to most of the central parts of the country, the area around Alto Paraíso is made up of oddly shaped hills. It's a fairly modern town, with none of the colonial-era buildings found elsewhere in the state.
Alto Paraíso de Goiás at a Glance
Elsewhere in Brasília and the West
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe