- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alto Paraíso de Goiás
This city is known throughout Brazil as a center of unexplained phenomena. The remoteness of the region—paved roads arrived about 25 years ago—gave birth to many stories about flying saucers and extraterrestrial beings. Many residents were attracted by the city's otherworldly vibe, especially in the run-up to the year 2000. Others came for the spectacular landscape. In sharp contrast to most of the central parts of the country, the area around Alto Paraíso is made up of oddly shaped hills. It's a fairly modern town, with none of the colonial-era buildings found elsewhere in the state.
Alto Paraíso de Goiás at a Glance
Elsewhere in Brasília and the West
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's