- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Potosí has no direct flights from La Paz, but you can get here directly from La Paz by bus. The journey, via Oruro, takes about nine hours, and is bearable with an overnight Bus Cama (bus with a bed). A better alternative is to come via Sucre, as the road is better and the journey is short (164 km/three hours). If you're coming from Santa Cruz, daily flights are available through AeroSur, BOA, and TAM, and take about 45 minutes. You could also fly from La Paz to Sucre (40 minutes) and then catch a three-hour bus to Potosí.
The only way to get around Potosí itself is to walk. The steep, winding streets and sidewalks are narrow, so pedestrian traffic can often be more of a problem than cars. To visit the museums and historic buildings you'll need a guide. English-speaking guides aren't always available, so consider arranging a tour through a travel agency in La Paz or Santa Cruz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe