Getting Here and Around
Buses to Tiwanaku leave daily from the Cementario bus terminal in La Paz and cost around $2 USD. The near two-hour ride is scenic, offering nice views of Volcano Huayna Potosi in the distance. Local guides are usually available outside the ruins for (Bs)70, but it's best to book one through a reputable tour company in La Paz. Most travel agencies offer half-and-full day trips to Tiwanaku, leaving at 8 am and returning around 4 pm. Rates—usually around (Bs)300—include lunch near the main square, a guide, transportation, and entrance to the Tiwanaku ruins and museum.
The Tiwanaku ruins are located next to the village of Tiwanaku on Highway 3 heading west from La Paz to Lake Titicaca. Be sure to ask about the return bus schedule so you don't get stuck there.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe