Soccer in La Paz
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Bolivians would be lost without their weekly soccer fix. Even the poorest, most remote villages have a playing field. Games are usually played on the only flat piece of land in town, so sheep and cows often graze on the field when there's not a match, and through-traffic may interrupt proceedings.
La Paz has three teams: Bolívar, La Paz FC, and the Strongest. All compete in the Estadio Hernando Siles, in the Miraflores district. The spectacle is always very entertaining, although the soccer can be terrible. You can also watch an entire stadium full of people trying to sit in the shade. Check local press or TV for games. Plaza de los Monolitos, La Paz. 02/235-7342.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe