- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
From La Paz, drive 190 km (118 mi) south to Caracollo, one of the few villages along the way with a gas station, and then head east toward Cochabamba. The drive takes about five hours. By bus, the trip takes closer to seven hours; tickets cost between $10 and $25 USD. To avoid standing in the aisle for the entire journey, book tickets at least a day in advance. Many companies have buses that leave several times a day.
AeroSur flies daily from La Paz and Sucre to Aeropuerto Jorge Wilsterman in Cochabamba. The airport is 10 km (6 mi) from downtown. A taxi into town is about $5 USD.
Built on the traditional grid pattern, the central part of Cochabamba is divided into quadrants beginning at the intersection of Avenida de las Heroínas and Avenida Ayacucho. Streets are labeled norte (north), sur (south), este (east), and oeste (west). The quadrant is included as an abbreviation in the address; for example, Hotel Aranjuez is located at Calle Buenos Aires E-0563.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe