When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
The wine harvest ends in autumn and is celebrated with a week of festivities that culminate in the vendimia (wine festival). In Mendoza this takes place during the last days of February and first week of March. A parade circles the Plaza Independencia and ends in the soccer stadium in San Martín Park with a grand finale of music, dancing, and religious ceremonies to ensure a good harvest. People shop and graze at food stands in the parks and plazas.
Winter is time for pruning and tying vines. Ski season begins in July, the month with the best weather and the one most favored by Argentines and Brazilians. August usually has plenty of snow, and September offers spring conditions. Weather in the Andes is unpredictable; pack clothes for all conditions, and get reports from ski areas. Springtime in the Valle de Uco brings trees covered in pink and white blossoms and new life in the vineyards. The snowcapped Andes form a spectacular backdrop, so bring your wide-angle lens.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe