- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At the crossroads of three important routes—Ruta Nacional 7 from Mendoza across the Andes to Ruta 57 from Mendoza via Villavicencio, and Ruta 39 from San Juan via Barreal—this small mountain town lies in the Calingasta Valley between the foothills and the front range of the Andes. It's a good base for excursions into the mountains by 4x4 or on horseback to abandoned mines, a desert ghost town, and spectacular mountain scenery where the 1997 movie Seven Years in Tibet was filmed. Metals have been forged at Las Bóvedas, the pointed adobe cupolas a few miles north of town, since pre-Columbian times. Arms and cannons for San Martín's army were made here.
- Address: Mendoza
- Location: Uspallata
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hopefully we will get a chance to post a more formal trip report later however I thought I'd post a few initial details. Read more
Thank you to everyone who posted reports and answered my questions over the past year in planning this trip.
Our story: We are a mature, newly retired Canadian couple who are well travelled and spending Read more
My husband and I will be traveling to Argentina in May. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more