- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
You can reach Barreal by bus in three hours. By car it's three hours or more. Leave San Juan on Ruta Nacional 40 driving north, then veer west on 436 to Talacasto, which becomes 149 to the Calingasta Valley then continues south to Barreal.
Another option is the long, lonely, but scenic drive from Uspallata on north-south Ruta 414 all the way to Barreal. The best way to explore Barreal, the Calingasta Valley, and the surrounding area is by car, using a 4x4 for forays into the mountains, or by joining a tour and letting them drive.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe