- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
You can reach Barreal by bus in three hours. By car it's three hours or more. Leave San Juan on Ruta Nacional 40 driving north, then veer west on 436 to Talacasto, which becomes 149 to the Calingasta Valley then continues south to Barreal.
Another option is the long, lonely, but scenic drive from Uspallata on north-south Ruta 414 all the way to Barreal. The best way to explore Barreal, the Calingasta Valley, and the surrounding area is by car, using a 4x4 for forays into the mountains, or by joining a tour and letting them drive.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's